The Thailand smartphone market shipped 4.7 million units in the fourth quarter of 2020, an 8.9% increase QoQ, as channel partners led with aggressive promotions.
The Thailand smartphone market shipped 4.7 million units in the fourth quarter of 2020, an 8.9% increase quarter on quarter (QoQ), as channel partners led with aggressive promotions. But this was a 10.5% decline year-on-year, as supply was not enough to keep up with the demand, according to International Data Corporation’s (IDC) Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker.
IDC’s report notes that online channel shipments almost doubled on a yearly basis, even as eTailer momentum slowed down after its peak in 2020Q2. Meanwhile, operators regained lost share, accounting for one-third of the total, as they grew double-digit on-quarter due to the popularity of iPhone 12-series bundles in the high-end and higher shipments from players such as realme and vivo in the low-end.
5G devices grew more than three times QoQ in 4Q20, bringing the 2020 total to 1.3 million units thanks to Apple’s iPhone 12-series and more affordable 5G Android devices (<US$500).
• vivo continued to be the top player by focusing on ensuring enough stock. Volume was largely driven by the low-end Y-series models such as the Y12s and Y20. Its offline marketing investments paid off well in mid-range 5G devices too.
• OPPO gained QoQ but declined sharply YoY due to severe shortages of their hero models A15 and Reno 4 Z/Pro 5G. Volume was driven by the A-series models.
• Apple’s iPhone 12 performance was impressive especially in the operator channel. But shipments dropped YoY due to the late launch and shortage of iPhone 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max models.
• realme rose again QoQ after flattened growth last quarter. realme continued to focus on the offline channel in rural areas and building a relationship with operators. Most units were in the low-end C-series.
• Samsung’s volume was driven by the new low-end A-series such as the Galaxy A12 and Galaxy A21s, although the supply couldn’t keep up with demand for these affordable smartphones.